Skip to main content

Featured post

Sandy's Space Adventure

Incoming Transmission Sandy's Space Adventures 🚀 Story Time Productions just zapped another adventure straight to your inbox. Everyone told Sandy the sky was too far and her dreams too big. She flew anyway. Not subscribed yet? Fix that now, before the Story Time aliens come looking for you. They're friendly. Mostly. But they don't take "later" for an answer. 👽 Subscribe & Stay Safe Open Full Screen Flip the pages inside the window. Tap the arrows in the corner to go full screen. 🫧 Planet of Lost Dreams ☄️ Comet of Courage 🌌 Nebula of Worries 💜 Galaxy of Friendship The universe is waiting for YOUR stories.

Veerplein In Commewijne

"Boats in the river"



Hello, friends. Welcome back to another Story Time episode in tropical Suriname. In this Story Time travel adventure, I am taking you along to Veerplein! This small square was once considered the center of Commewijne. Before the Wijdenbosch bridge was built, you could only visit Commewijne by boat. Back then, a ferry carried people, cars, and materials for a fee. 

I remember crossing with the ferry when I was a little girl. Each time we visited my family members in Commewijne, we had to wait in a long line of cars. Each waited their turn to board and cross the river. On the other side, we'd arrive at Veerplein. 

When the bridge opened, the ferry disappeared. Today, smaller boats still cross the river. But they only transport people and bicycles. 

Most tourists cross the river in these smaller wooden boats, taking their rented bycicles along. When the tourists arrive on the other side, their bicycle trail begins. Under the scorching tropical sun, they set out to explore Commewijne. You can also take a bus at Veerplein. But catching the bus in Commewijne is a hassle. They also don't operate as regularly or as late as the buses in Paramaribo. If you want to catch the bus, you have to do that during rush hour. That's when most people leave work or school to head home. 

Most people who live in Commewijne go to work or school in the city. There are some schools in Commewijne. But like most other districts in Suriname, there is no university, and not all educational institutions are located on this side of the river. I spent a lot of time at Veerplein. 

Because of the high foot traffic, Veerplein has long been a small trade hub. Throughout the years, I've seen many stores, retailers, warungs, and even beauty shops call Veerplein their home. It's easy and inexpensive to reach. If you are traveling in Suriname, it's only a short boat ride from Paramaribo. 

You can easily walk to the boats from your hotel.
On the weekends, the place looks abandoned. Especially on a Sunday! That's when I made my Veerplein vlog. Enjoy the tour of Commewijne on a hot day. Veerplein actually translates to 'Ferry Square' in Dutch. The place has had that name for as long as I can remember. If you want to experience the small crowds in Commewijne, I suggest arriving early on a weekday. 

Are you planning on traveling soon? Expedia can make your travel dreams a reality! From your hotel booking to flights and car rentals, find it all on Expedia! You can find everything you need for your trip on one website. You pick the destination, and Expedia gets you the best travel deals. As an affiliate partner, I earn a commission when you book through the link. Enjoy the video and don't forget to subscribe!
I look forward to sharing many more adventures with you.





Comments

Popular Posts

//]]>