Skip to main content

Featured post

Lunch At Hotel Torarica

Shaqien Food in Tamanredjo

              Story Time: Shaqien food


Hi friends, I am back with another foodie adventure! 🍲😋🥘🥫This time we are exploring the heart of Commewijne. 🚘A popular place that's called Tamanredjo. When you visit Tamanredjo you will discover that it's a city of its own. Commewijne is a district in Suriname that's special to my heart. It's the place where my late grandparents were from. But to this day I have a lot of friends here who make me feel right at home any time I drive by. It's just sometimes I get distracted on side quests and go on adventures where I'll explore other places. If you are new to the Story Time tribe join my online community by subscribing when you see that U.F.O. pop up on your screen. 👾👽🛸Being born mixed in a multicultural country has made me experience Suriname in a unique way. If I have to talk about the positive experiences, I have to mention the food! Like most Caribbean countries we have great food! What does make our kitchen blend a bit unique and different from other Caribbean countries is that Suriname is the only one with Javanese people. All the other Javanese people you will find in the Caribbean are from Suriname or have Surinamese parents. It's a small community we live in, and I learned that after years of networking. 🏝 Tamanredjo is famous for all its warungs. It's almost like Blauwgrond. In this episode, we will be reviewing and visiting a famous Javanese Warung in Tamanredjo for you. Shaqien food is well known in Surinamese society for its berkat ( Javanese food in banana leaves, it has chicken, egg vegetables, and different kinds of rice in it. Sometimes it has candy in it, but in my experience, the ones you get from the mosque are better than the ones you can buy). But when I went I didn't order that. If you are curious to see a berkat or gendureng as Javanese people call it make sure that you are subscribed to the Story Time blog!

"Water fountan in Shaqien food Commewijne"
I have to admit that when it comes down to style and interior decoration Shaqien Food is absolutely zen!😍😍I love all the waterworks that they have and the place looks nice and clean. You can sit somewhere where you have a great view of the waterworks. We ordered the saoto soup. Listen as someone who is partially Javanese, I know how to judge my Javanese food! I have been sitting in too many kitchens as a non-muslim family member at the Javanese Muslim family events to not know my Javanese food! Culture and food are very important in Suriname. This is something that I got to experience from all ethnic sides of my family. As I mentioned before somewhere on my blog my family has been having kids outside of their ethnicity since the pre-colonial days of this country. My roots go back as far as its history. Maybe that's why I love sharing some history about my country. How did Javanese people end up in this South American/Caribbean people? Our ancestors came to Suriname as immigrants from Indonesia. When slavery was abolished the Netherlands needed to find new workers for their colony in Suriname. Rings a bell? Yes, my Indonesian content consumers, we have known the same colonizer! ( breaks a sweat don't take this personally Netherlands!)😓 Let me direct this conversation back to the food and leave the history classes to another Story Time episode.✍📧

"Thank you for choosing Shaqien food Commewijne sign"

I made a video about my visit to Shaqien food in Tamanredjo for you guys to enjoy. Personally, I thought the food was average. But if it comes down to interior decoration, zen vibes, and a nice setting they win that round hands down! The bami and the saoto soup weren't the best I had. But maybe it also depends on the day and who's the cook. At least this visit has inspired me to create some unique adventures for you.  I hope you guys like this video and thank you for supporting my Story Time channel. I can't wait to see you next time. We're going to transform things on Story Time productions this year.😏😀💓 Until the next foodie adventure. If you don't mind the drive across the bridge go have a Javanese food adventure of your own when you're traveling through Suriname.



"Story Time productions logo"



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Foodie Adventure At Taman Indah Resort In Commewijne

 A Foodie Adventure At Taman Indah Resort Hello my friends, today our Story Time U.F.O. 🛸is taking you for a rough landing in the district of Commewijne. We found ourselves in Tamanredjo again. This place is popular for the amount Javanese warungs that you can find there. Most of our Neighbors that cross to Suriname from French Guyana stop here for a snack before making their way to the capital, Paramaribo. Among one of the popular restaurants in this area there is Taman Indah Resort. They are famous for their Berkat and their swimming pool. If you want to know what a Berkat is, make sure to subscribe to my Story Time blog. I'll be publishing more stories about food from the different cultures in Suriname for you guys!😁😀 We went to Tamanredjo at night time with hungry stomachs. Some people visit this resort to go swimming as well. You can buy a day pass and there are also cabana's and apartment's for rent. The resort isn't located on the main road, but you'll k

Paint Shopping And Food Stop At Warung Resa

 Paint Shopping And Food Stop At Warung Resa Hello Story Time friends, welcome back! I'm taking you along on another vlog. This video was made on a hectic day. I split the content of my adventures into different parts. So make sure you subscribe and stay tuned. There are a lot of stories that I still have to finish. I wish I had more time for my creative projects. But with my lifestyle in Suriname that is not realistic! Anyway, we're going paint shopping in different stores. I visited HJ De Vries, Malhoe's Building Materials, and a Historex retailer. When we were done combing through stores for our project, I was hungry and tired! So we decided to go to Warung Resa. Their Javanese food reminds me of my late grandmother's and aunt's cooking. It's flavorful and authentic. We had the Gudanang and the Long Tong Tahoe. Both are traditional dishes in Javanese culture. Long Tong Tahoe is made with bean sprouts, Tahoe, and chicken. It's then drizzled with a spicy

Green Key Expo At Torarica

 Green Awareness Expo At Torarica Hola mi amigos welcome back to a new Story Time adventure! There is a vibrant city in the beating heart of the Amazon rainforest! This city is rich with multi-ethnic culture and flavorful food. Of course, I am talking about Paramaribo. Living in the Amazon Rainforest, we're surrounded by greenery. But these parts of the Amazon Rainforest haven't been unaffected by global warming. The recent droughts where multiple rivers and creeks were empty is an example. The gold mining and wood exploitation that happens in our jungles is affecting the beauty of our land. Protecting the Amazon Rainforest means protecting the lungs of the world. Green awareness is a topic that's often mentioned in this part of the world. Hotel Torarica organized a Green Key fair and of course, I had to visit! Now I can finally share the Story with you guys! Creating these Story Time episodes takes a lot of work. So I'd appreciate it if you subscribe and join our tri

Shadows Of Love

 Shadows Of Love Sometimes you must shuffle the deck a few times to be dealt the right hand. And sometimes you meet that King Of Hearts in the first move that the game will demand. In the shadows of love, there are many secrets hidden. Something about you felt familiar, calm, and at the same time forbidden. I wonder what the universe was conspiring when our paths crossed. From a distance, I felt your eyes capture my soul. Maybe this is a story that should never be told! But they say that if you want to enter the paradise of lovers you have to pay the toll! A friend once asked me a question, he said: " What is it you are looking for now that we are getting old?". I told him I wanted someone who could spark my mind, soul, and maybe my inner sexual being. After he exposed the beauty hidden in my poetry, thoughts kept flirting with this hidden feeling. Sometimes we need the right people to ask us the right questions! But sometimes when the ones we hide in our hearts want to kno

Yogh Hospitality Hotel Jacuzzi Room Review

 Yogh Hospitality Jacuzzi Hotel Room Review Hello friends, I am finally back to continue the Yogh Hospitality Hotel series. In this Story Time episode, we are reviewing their Jacuzzi hotel room. Suriname's latest hotel edition has had me and many other people impressed. I finally got the time to write this review for you. I've been busy with some projects and capturing content for you. I'm always on the move, that's why it's no surprise that it takes a lot of work to bring these Story Time episodes to life. Subscribing to my blog will help support my creative journey. By becoming a member of the Story Time tribe, you will be the first to receive my stories in your inbox. Anyway back to Yogh Hospitality Hotel. Their Jacuzzi room was very impressive and modern. Especially compared to Surinamese standards. As a tech girl, I love everything innovative and modern. Too bad their spa isn't open yet. That's still a work in progress. Keep in mind that they only rec

Check-In At Royal Torarica In Paramaribo

 Check-in At Royal Torarica In Paramaribo Hello, my fellow adventurers! I'm back to share another Story Time adventure. In this episode, we'll be visiting Royal Torarica in Paramaribo.  This hotel is a part of the Torarica group. They have different deals going on at Royal Torarica for locals. This Surimanese luxury hotel is a 3-star establishment. We know they have an amazing swimming pool from our previous pool day adventure . It has become a habit of mine to add videos to my blog posts. The way technology evolves helps me elevate my creative skills. I made a vlog of our check-in at Hotel Royal Torarica in Paramaribo. But before we get to that, I'd appreciate you subscribing to my blog. By subscribing you support my content creation journey and will be the first to receive my episodes in your e-mail.📧You can be my pen-friend, so don't be shy to leave a comment behind!😎 I was so busy that I messed up the dates for our booking. But the hotel was nice enough to acco

Story time with Donovan Dongo, Dongo brothers selected for W.W.E

   Storytime with Donovan Dongo, Dongo Brothers selected  The Dongo brothers holding the Surinamese flag in front of the  W.W.E performance center in America. Today I have some good news for the people of Suriname. I know I am a bit late with this story, but what can I say. I have been having problems with my Internet provider for a while now.  If you live in Suriname, you probably can relate. But on with Storytime, today we are going to talk about the Dongo brothers.  These guys have proven that dreams do come true, with a lot of hard work and effort.  The World Wrestling Entertainment (W.W.E) has selected Donovan and Leandro Dongo to represent Suriname. They made it past their last tryouts and were selected out of 30.000 applicants. The Dongo brothers have proven what they are made of, but they have also put Suriname on the world map when it comes to wrestling entertainment.  Donovan Dongo shares his experiences with Storytime in a video he recorded. But since I have a

Blogger notes: Happy new year! Storytime in 2022

Happy new year, Storytime in 2022 Hi guys, I want to wish all of you a happy new year. I am learning to stay positive no matter the circumstances. Throughout the years I have become a professional at it. The weird thing is, the better I get at it the better my skills become. I have to say I am proud of myself for getting through last year. There were some painful lessons, as usual. I have come to learn that they are a part of the journey that helps me build my successes. The more I embraced positivity the less my anxiety became.  Anxiety can be a messed-up demon, but the warrior in me kind of grew tired of it and decided to stab it. That's the problem when you know how strong you are.  The only thing is, I just wasn't in a hurry to grow up. Especially if you grew up in the public eye like I did. But I have no regrets. Because each step that I made in life also led me to beautiful people and beautiful experiences. The more content I feel with my life, the more my inn

Hotel Torarica

                               Story Time:       Pool day at hotel Torarica in Paramaribo Hello my dearest Story Time friends from around the world, how has the new year been treating you so far? I am back with a new Story Time episode. Fingers crossed that my schedule allows more posting this year. I have a lot of stories to share with you from my different adventures. In this adventure, we are having a pool day at hotel Torarica in Paramaribo. When I filmed this video I had just reached my first 10.000 views on Youtube. That was a while ago when I just started my Youtube journey.  Filming for Youtube and my blog has been quite the learning journey. From all the technical difficulties to the content I lost and figuring out how to get better shots. But when you are as determined as I am you learn while you are on the go. I am excited to see what fun content I'll create in the coming year. It helps a lot when you subscribe to my blog by filling in your e-mail address when that Sto