Skip to main content

Featured post

Lunch At Hotel Torarica

Story time with Donovan Dongo, Dongo brothers selected for W.W.E

   Storytime with Donovan Dongo, Dongo Brothers selected 

" The dongo brothers holding the Surinamese vlag in front of the W.W.E. performance center"
The Dongo brothers holding the Surinamese flag in front of the W.W.E performance center in America.


Today I have some good news for the people of Suriname. I know I am a bit late with this story, but what can I say. I have been having problems with my Internet provider for a while now. 
If you live in Suriname, you probably can relate. But on with Storytime, today we are going to talk about the Dongo brothers.  These guys have proven that dreams do come true, with a lot of hard work and effort.  The World Wrestling Entertainment (W.W.E) has selected Donovan and Leandro Dongo to represent Suriname. They made it past their last tryouts and were selected out of 30.000 applicants. The Dongo brothers have proven what they are made of, but they have also put Suriname on the world map when it comes to wrestling entertainment.  Donovan Dongo shares his experiences with Storytime in a video he recorded. But since I have a lot of readers around the world who don't speak dutch I'm going to translate his video recording into English. If you are not aware of who the Dongo brothers are, be sure to read my previous article about the Dongo brothers. 


" Leandro and Donovan Dongo during their last W.W.E try outs"
The Dongo Brothers Donovan and Leandro during their last W.W.E tryout


                       How the Dongo brothers experienced their last try out




The Dongo brothers posing with other W.W.E applicants during their last try out


From the 23rd to the 29th of April Leandro and Donovan Dongo were in the United States for their last W.W. E try out.  Donovan Dongo explains the process of this tryout and what the brothers their daily schedule consisted of.  He also shares the lessons he has learned and the positive experiences he and his brother Leandro  Dongo gained. 

 " The tryouts started on the 23rd of April in Miami, after that we flew to Orlando.  On the 24th of April, we had to do a medical test.  The medical test came with a lot of things, they check your cardio system, your heartbeat, etc., etc.  They even check if you don't have any heart problems. It's a real full health check-up! They really do it professionally.  Besides that, they also check your bones and muscles for fractures.  After a complete check-up, we had to start training. The training was intense. We had to sign a contract, a waiver stating that we attended the W.W.E tryouts at our own risk.  People mostly think it's pro wrestling so it's fake fighting. But believe me, it isn't called professional wrestling for nothing.  Everything about it is professional, from rolling in the ring, shoulder rolls, forward rolls, backward rolls, taking bumps and falling in the ring, doing a flip bump. They are all aspects of the entertaining part. Every day we had to train 6 hours long, we did get short breaks in between.  The longest break was only during eating,  then we only got an hour. After that, it is training hard again. We started at 9 am and were there until 6 pm in the afternoon.  We have learned a lot of new things from the W.W. E performance center.  Their introduction was that they didn't need us.  We don't need you guys here we have enough athletes waiting in line to become a W.W.E superstar.  They said that since the previous trial. You have to show us that you really want this." The Dongo brothers indeed managed to prove that they wanted the dream and are turning it into their reality.  

The Dongo brothers Leandro and Donovan


" We did it and Suriname didn't get a bad name, we put Suriname on the map in the days that we were there. My younger brother Leandro Dongo, when it comes to condition and an athletic background he is better than me.  But physically I am a bit stronger than him.  My mindset is a killer instinct. I get that from my father, my mindset is to never give up. I didn't give up and went through everything. Even if I had to crawl, I crawled through everything.  I did everything and I finished everything. I didn't stop once to say that I can't!  I just went through all the training. My background is actually a powerlifting strongman. I also took a few wrestle classes, but I only did it for a short while. So my background is more powerlifting and strongman.  That's lifting, pushing, and throwing heavy objects. We did the tryout and in the last few days, they gave us more tests. We had to answer questions about the entire pro wrestling history. Simple questions like who is the c.e.o. of the W.W.E.  They were all multiple choice and it was a part of the try-out to test your knowledge and passion for the W.W.E. It also weighs in as much as the training.  We did a promo, a promo is when you introduce yourself as a person they describe you as. They give you a script, a wrestling gimmick, or a wrestling character. You have to bring that out in your own way.  They give you points for that, that was one of the things we had to do as well.  They also paid close attention to who you are as an individual there. There are six wrestling rings in the performance center and after training the wrestling rings are cleaned.  So we had to clean the rings and help with cleaning everything else.  The scouts and coaches then observe what your character is when you need to work. Or if you need to help with something.  So you're not only there thinking about making a lot of money, becoming popular. That is just the icing on the cake. Every athlete that was present, was there with a different goal. Our goal was to be there as Surinamese citizens, a small country with no professional background. We are professional athletes in Suriname, but that's nothing. If you become a national champion in Suriname it's a reasonable achievement. But the moment you go abroad it's a different story. Our luck is that we cannot give up and adapt fast to the situation.That way you can't intimidate us with challenges.  We give it our everything, to prove that we can do it! That's just our Dongo and Kranthoven mentality. We made it through the W.W.E tryouts. We didn't immediately get a result but now we have a developmental contract in our hands.  People think if you do the try-out a few days you are instantly on Monday night raw or on Smackdown. It doesn't work like that, it's a long process. To become a pro wrestler and make an appearance on a show you have to build up years of experience. It's like people practicing karate or judo that want to participate in Olympic sports. They are mostly people who have trained for at least 8 to 10 years with competition experience.  The tryout is simply to see if you want to do it if it is something you want to do for the next 10 to 20 years.  After that, they will form you within six months. Those six months are actually shortened. After six months you are introduced to W.W. E NXT (an American t.v. show about professional wrestling). You become a W.W.E NXT superstar, then they will form you with time. Maybe for a year or two after that, you are placed in the main roster ( Personal appearing on Monday night raw and SmackDown live ).  " NXT is the practicing ground to reach the top according to Donovan Dongo. " Our feedback was that the tryout group we were in had 45 athletes from which a lot of them were pro NFL ( National Football League in America) players who weren't under contract at that moment, world-class CrossFit athletes, Brazilian Jujitsu Champion, freestyle wrestling athlete who is a part of the American Olympic team, yeah there were a lot of professional athletes there. And we were Surinamese boys from Paramaribo, from the Hogestraat Frimangrong! Who just did a bit of sport here and there, but because we give our all when it comes to the competition we looked like pro athletes as well.  We really looked like pro athletes because I and my younger brother Leandro really dominated in almost all of the training aspects. That is something that I can indeed say. Especially with power and condition, we didn't make Suriname's name fall.  We didn't go with the mindset that we were going to attend for the experience.  F**k that, we went intending to get a contract and we made it. So now we are heading towards the next step. That is to train there for six months, gain wrestling experience in the ring.  And then you will see us after let's say a year on t.v.  You're going to see the Surinamese flag on W.W.E NXT. We are going to realize the dream for Suriname.  For the young people, for everyone, for our friends. Everyone is supporting us, if I say that we didn't get any support from our country then I am lying. "





Indeed a proud moment for Suriname, and this Surinamese blogger is happy to report on it. Storytime wishes the Dongo brothers a lot of luck on their journey. I can't wait to see our local boys from around the block on W.W.E NXT. They have made us proud up until now, and are slowly making their dreams come true. This shows that Surinamese people are talented and that we have a whole world outside of us to reach. We can learn from the Dongo brothers to never give up on your dreams and keep giving it your all. After all, there are a lot of talented people from Suriname doing great things around the world. But that's for another edition of the storytime hint.  













Comments

  1. Good job boys sranang na loktoe fu alla

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ik heb er ook geloof in dat ze het ver gaan schoppen en Suriname trots zullen maken

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Foodie Adventure At Taman Indah Resort In Commewijne

 A Foodie Adventure At Taman Indah Resort Hello my friends, today our Story Time U.F.O. 🛸is taking you for a rough landing in the district of Commewijne. We found ourselves in Tamanredjo again. This place is popular for the amount Javanese warungs that you can find there. Most of our Neighbors that cross to Suriname from French Guyana stop here for a snack before making their way to the capital, Paramaribo. Among one of the popular restaurants in this area there is Taman Indah Resort. They are famous for their Berkat and their swimming pool. If you want to know what a Berkat is, make sure to subscribe to my Story Time blog. I'll be publishing more stories about food from the different cultures in Suriname for you guys!😁😀 We went to Tamanredjo at night time with hungry stomachs. Some people visit this resort to go swimming as well. You can buy a day pass and there are also cabana's and apartment's for rent. The resort isn't located on the main road, but you'll k

Paint Shopping And Food Stop At Warung Resa

 Paint Shopping And Food Stop At Warung Resa Hello Story Time friends, welcome back! I'm taking you along on another vlog. This video was made on a hectic day. I split the content of my adventures into different parts. So make sure you subscribe and stay tuned. There are a lot of stories that I still have to finish. I wish I had more time for my creative projects. But with my lifestyle in Suriname that is not realistic! Anyway, we're going paint shopping in different stores. I visited HJ De Vries, Malhoe's Building Materials, and a Historex retailer. When we were done combing through stores for our project, I was hungry and tired! So we decided to go to Warung Resa. Their Javanese food reminds me of my late grandmother's and aunt's cooking. It's flavorful and authentic. We had the Gudanang and the Long Tong Tahoe. Both are traditional dishes in Javanese culture. Long Tong Tahoe is made with bean sprouts, Tahoe, and chicken. It's then drizzled with a spicy

Green Key Expo At Torarica

 Green Awareness Expo At Torarica Hola mi amigos welcome back to a new Story Time adventure! There is a vibrant city in the beating heart of the Amazon rainforest! This city is rich with multi-ethnic culture and flavorful food. Of course, I am talking about Paramaribo. Living in the Amazon Rainforest, we're surrounded by greenery. But these parts of the Amazon Rainforest haven't been unaffected by global warming. The recent droughts where multiple rivers and creeks were empty is an example. The gold mining and wood exploitation that happens in our jungles is affecting the beauty of our land. Protecting the Amazon Rainforest means protecting the lungs of the world. Green awareness is a topic that's often mentioned in this part of the world. Hotel Torarica organized a Green Key fair and of course, I had to visit! Now I can finally share the Story with you guys! Creating these Story Time episodes takes a lot of work. So I'd appreciate it if you subscribe and join our tri

Shadows Of Love

 Shadows Of Love Sometimes you must shuffle the deck a few times to be dealt the right hand. And sometimes you meet that King Of Hearts in the first move that the game will demand. In the shadows of love, there are many secrets hidden. Something about you felt familiar, calm, and at the same time forbidden. I wonder what the universe was conspiring when our paths crossed. From a distance, I felt your eyes capture my soul. Maybe this is a story that should never be told! But they say that if you want to enter the paradise of lovers you have to pay the toll! A friend once asked me a question, he said: " What is it you are looking for now that we are getting old?". I told him I wanted someone who could spark my mind, soul, and maybe my inner sexual being. After he exposed the beauty hidden in my poetry, thoughts kept flirting with this hidden feeling. Sometimes we need the right people to ask us the right questions! But sometimes when the ones we hide in our hearts want to kno

Yogh Hospitality Hotel Jacuzzi Room Review

 Yogh Hospitality Jacuzzi Hotel Room Review Hello friends, I am finally back to continue the Yogh Hospitality Hotel series. In this Story Time episode, we are reviewing their Jacuzzi hotel room. Suriname's latest hotel edition has had me and many other people impressed. I finally got the time to write this review for you. I've been busy with some projects and capturing content for you. I'm always on the move, that's why it's no surprise that it takes a lot of work to bring these Story Time episodes to life. Subscribing to my blog will help support my creative journey. By becoming a member of the Story Time tribe, you will be the first to receive my stories in your inbox. Anyway back to Yogh Hospitality Hotel. Their Jacuzzi room was very impressive and modern. Especially compared to Surinamese standards. As a tech girl, I love everything innovative and modern. Too bad their spa isn't open yet. That's still a work in progress. Keep in mind that they only rec

Check-In At Royal Torarica In Paramaribo

 Check-in At Royal Torarica In Paramaribo Hello, my fellow adventurers! I'm back to share another Story Time adventure. In this episode, we'll be visiting Royal Torarica in Paramaribo.  This hotel is a part of the Torarica group. They have different deals going on at Royal Torarica for locals. This Surimanese luxury hotel is a 3-star establishment. We know they have an amazing swimming pool from our previous pool day adventure . It has become a habit of mine to add videos to my blog posts. The way technology evolves helps me elevate my creative skills. I made a vlog of our check-in at Hotel Royal Torarica in Paramaribo. But before we get to that, I'd appreciate you subscribing to my blog. By subscribing you support my content creation journey and will be the first to receive my episodes in your e-mail.📧You can be my pen-friend, so don't be shy to leave a comment behind!😎 I was so busy that I messed up the dates for our booking. But the hotel was nice enough to acco

Blogger notes: Happy new year! Storytime in 2022

Happy new year, Storytime in 2022 Hi guys, I want to wish all of you a happy new year. I am learning to stay positive no matter the circumstances. Throughout the years I have become a professional at it. The weird thing is, the better I get at it the better my skills become. I have to say I am proud of myself for getting through last year. There were some painful lessons, as usual. I have come to learn that they are a part of the journey that helps me build my successes. The more I embraced positivity the less my anxiety became.  Anxiety can be a messed-up demon, but the warrior in me kind of grew tired of it and decided to stab it. That's the problem when you know how strong you are.  The only thing is, I just wasn't in a hurry to grow up. Especially if you grew up in the public eye like I did. But I have no regrets. Because each step that I made in life also led me to beautiful people and beautiful experiences. The more content I feel with my life, the more my inn

A Paramaribo Foodie Adventure At Tori Oso In Suriname

 Story Time: Paramaribo foodie adventure at Tori Oso Hello, my dearest Story Time friends from around the world. How have you guys been doing? As usual, I'm back with another foodie adventure! This time we're reviewing a popular local restaurant in Paramaribo that's called Tori Oso. By the way to my fellow Surinamese people happy Keti Koti! In Sranang Tongo, the language all locals speak means the chains are broken. Today on the 1st of July emancipation day is celebrated in the Republic of Suriname. But I'll tell you more about that in another Story Time episode. So make sure you subscribe to my blog when you see that Story Time U.F.O. pop-up on your screen! 🛸👽👾That way you'll be the first to get my Story Time adventures zapped right to your inbox! On this foodie adventure in Paramaribo, we visited Tori Oso on a hot afternoon. Tori Oso is located at Fred Derby Street #76. On their Facebook page , it said that they open at 4pm. But it's better if you show up