Skip to main content

Featured post

Lunch At Hotel Torarica

5 Financial mistakes to avoid while spending

   5 Financial mistakes to avoid while spending



Hello Storytime readers, it has been a while since I wrote a financial advice post. I do not know why I don't write these more often when I am an expert at surviving. I mean I survived Bouta, an economical crisis, a pandemic, and a pile of debt Suriname's politicians acquired without us actually noticing where those 4 billion dollars went. I am talking united stated dollars here, you think we'd have a train by now. It was supposed to be running since the 25th of May 2015, for a price of one Surinamese dollar you would be able to ride the train. Now we don't have a train, but we do have bad roads and expensive gas prices thanks to the devaluation of the Surinamese dollars.  And the ironic part is the country is rich in natural resources like oil, gold, diamonds, and other valuable minerals. But despite all of the challenges Suriname has faced it still has a lot of wonderful things to offer. When I first started this blog, one US dollar was worth 2,80 Surinamese dollars. Now one United States Dollar is worth 24,50 Surinamese dollars. As a millennial growing up during a country's financial crisis teaches you a thing or two. My survival skills have been put to the test and I had to learn the hard way. The good part is because of it I have discovered some awesome hidden skills that even I didn't know I had. Yes playing with your money can teach you a lot about yourself. Because your money influences your lifestyle and how you spend it says a lot about your lifestyle. It doesn't matter what country you are from, but I am sure you can relate to being a victim of bad leadership at one point in your life. This can even be true in working situations. The important thing is that we know it is important to be prepared through misfortunate events that we have no control over. There are certain actions and habits that we can adopt to secure the future. A secure future in a financial aspect must be the basis of 'quality of life. Quality of life should be a basic right for every human being. To ensure this financial future can be manifested here are 5 financial mistakes one should avoid while spending money:

               1. Not knowing where your cents are spent

This is a rookie mistake that I made for years. I regret not keeping track of my cents at an earlier age. The financial insight that you can gain from knowing where you spend your cents reflects your lifestyle and the lifestyle choices you make. For example, it is because I started to keep track of my cents that I knew that I spent way too much money on cookies and snacks. For me, it was a hint to adopt a healthier lifestyle and better eating habits. Especially if it turns out that 36 % of your income went to junk food at the end of the year. Yikes, that's just an example that I am giving. Everyone has their own vices and bad habits.  Keeping track of your finances makes you aware of how bad it is and if you can control it or not. It also helps you straighten out your priorities to meet your financial goals. If you want to buy something because it will be an asset, the less you spend on liabilities the faster you will get there. You can use applications that help you keep track of your money. These applications can be downloaded through the play store. Once you have such an app, you add your daily expenses to it. Most apps do an excellent job at giving you a proper overview of what percentage of your income goes to what. At the end of the year, you might be surprised by how quickly the numbers add up. If you have a clear overview of your money managing it becomes a lot easier. You might be surprised by the number of people who don't keep track of their expenses and are winging it blind. I am not judging, but unless you don't have an unlimited amount of money to spend it's better to play it on the safe side.

2. Not knowing the difference between a liability and an asset

When it comes to building some decent kind of financial knowledge you will find out why it is important to know the difference between a financial liability and an asset. A liability is something that will increase your expenses without you having any way of making money on it. Its presence causes a financial disadvantage to the owner. But an asset keeps holding its value. It can generate an income or help you generate income. Renting out real estate property for example is an asset. An example of a  liability is any acquired debt or expenses that one has to endure. Now that you are keeping track of your expenses and that you know where your money is going you can divide your costs into these two areas.  Write down what your liabilities and assets are. If you do not have any assets, the financial overview that you have gained from keeping track of your spending habits can help you generate more assets. Assets are necessary because they provide a value that can be transferred into cash.  The liabilities that you have can be divided into necessary liabilities and unnecessary liabilities. That is the way I mostly do it. Junk food is an unnecessary liability but clothing and a roof over your head are necessary liabilities. Terminate as many unnecessary liabilities as you can. That way you can save more money to invest in assets that will give you long-term profits.  The goal is to build multiple assets that can provide you with the lifestyle that you desire. And if you do happen to make a lot of money, make sure you put it to good use.

                              3. Splurging on impulsive deals

We all have those impulsive moments, but not being able to control impulsive buys can lead to unnecessary splurging. Especially if you aren't sitting on top of a mountain of money. If you have the kind of money where you don't care what you're going to spend in the next 50 years then all is well. But if you are still working towards achieving that financial dream it is better to avoid as many unnecessary impulsive buys as you can. I know it's alright to spoil yourself from time to time. But don't overdo it to an extent that your wallet will end up regretting it. For some people, it could be shoes, bags, food, clothes, or whatever rocks your boat. Too much, can be heavy on your pockets and set you back from achieving the goals that you have set for yourself. Marketing in stores and on social media is designed to trigger impulsive buying within the consumer. That's the point of sales. But don't get distracted by all the pretty things around you that you wish to buy. Ask yourself if it is really something that you need right now? If the answer is yes, go ahead and buy it. If the answer is no ask yourself how the money could be better spent? Take time to reflect on the purchase you want to make before you actually go through with buying it. Even I like spoiling myself, but they do say that there is a right time and a right place for everything for a reason. If you have nothing in your savings account to help you invest into assets that money saved can fit a better purpose. Once you have gathered enough assets that generate a satisfying income, you can loosen up on the shrewd spending habits. It is better to prepare for a rainy day since life consists of plenty of unexpected events. The goal is to become financially secure before you go crazy splurging. If you receive money today, it doesn't mean that you have to spend it all in one day.

                    4. Not taking the time to look for a better deal

" Euro Bills"
I know they say time is money, but in this case sometimes not having enough time can cost you money. When you want to purchase an item, do a quick google search if you can find better deals. Or try to look at the prices of other stores. When you're in Suriname, you notice this when you go to supermarkets. Often times the same product has a different price in each supermarket or store. And the price difference isn't in pennies. Or else we wouldn't make a deal out of it. But in the culture of a business that happens. When you as the consumer wish to save more money, the best thing is to look around and see where you can get the better price. For example, I once bought a scented candle for 100 dollars, Surinamese dollars of course. A few minutes later I walked into another store, it turned out the same candles were there for 20 Surinamese Dollars. Lessons learned, of course depending on your lifestyle you have to weigh what has a priority. The money spent or the time? Everyone has a different answer to this. If you can make more money in the time that you spend looking around for a better deal, then I can understand what the obvious choice is. But if you do have the time to spare, and are living on a low budget you probably want to research prices first before making a purchase. It's a good technology that makes researching prices a lot easier.   

    5. Not knowing the value of the product you are purchasing

"Golden bars" 
Knowing the value of the product that you are planning to purchase is important as well.  Before you decide to purchase an item, do some research on its value and how well the item retains its value. What value will it bring to your life? What is it worth? How much is it sold for? What percentage of the original price are second-handed ones sold for? These are all questions that you have to ask yourself before making a purchase. What the durability of the item is the knowledge that should be available to you as well. When you are satisfied with the answers that you have provided you can decide to purchase the item. Of course, if you can't afford it, or if buying it at that moment dries up your wallet doesn't make the purchase yet. Remember it's always good to have some funds for security. If you can't make the money that you spent back, think twice about it. And try not to get yourself in any unnecessary debt. Remember the main lesson here, it is better to be prepared. The pandemic has thought as that well. Especially how a lot of people their jobs were affected by the pandemic. A lot of people who had to stay home or even became jobbles because of the lockdowns didn't have the necessary funds to sustain life while the pandemic lasted. Of course, we hope that it turns out well for everyone struggling during this pandemic. Stay safe everyone and that was it for my golden advice in this edition of Storytime. Until the next time, be sure to subscribe.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Foodie Adventure At Taman Indah Resort In Commewijne

 A Foodie Adventure At Taman Indah Resort Hello my friends, today our Story Time U.F.O. 🛸is taking you for a rough landing in the district of Commewijne. We found ourselves in Tamanredjo again. This place is popular for the amount Javanese warungs that you can find there. Most of our Neighbors that cross to Suriname from French Guyana stop here for a snack before making their way to the capital, Paramaribo. Among one of the popular restaurants in this area there is Taman Indah Resort. They are famous for their Berkat and their swimming pool. If you want to know what a Berkat is, make sure to subscribe to my Story Time blog. I'll be publishing more stories about food from the different cultures in Suriname for you guys!😁😀 We went to Tamanredjo at night time with hungry stomachs. Some people visit this resort to go swimming as well. You can buy a day pass and there are also cabana's and apartment's for rent. The resort isn't located on the main road, but you'll k

Paint Shopping And Food Stop At Warung Resa

 Paint Shopping And Food Stop At Warung Resa Hello Story Time friends, welcome back! I'm taking you along on another vlog. This video was made on a hectic day. I split the content of my adventures into different parts. So make sure you subscribe and stay tuned. There are a lot of stories that I still have to finish. I wish I had more time for my creative projects. But with my lifestyle in Suriname that is not realistic! Anyway, we're going paint shopping in different stores. I visited HJ De Vries, Malhoe's Building Materials, and a Historex retailer. When we were done combing through stores for our project, I was hungry and tired! So we decided to go to Warung Resa. Their Javanese food reminds me of my late grandmother's and aunt's cooking. It's flavorful and authentic. We had the Gudanang and the Long Tong Tahoe. Both are traditional dishes in Javanese culture. Long Tong Tahoe is made with bean sprouts, Tahoe, and chicken. It's then drizzled with a spicy

Green Key Expo At Torarica

 Green Awareness Expo At Torarica Hola mi amigos welcome back to a new Story Time adventure! There is a vibrant city in the beating heart of the Amazon rainforest! This city is rich with multi-ethnic culture and flavorful food. Of course, I am talking about Paramaribo. Living in the Amazon Rainforest, we're surrounded by greenery. But these parts of the Amazon Rainforest haven't been unaffected by global warming. The recent droughts where multiple rivers and creeks were empty is an example. The gold mining and wood exploitation that happens in our jungles is affecting the beauty of our land. Protecting the Amazon Rainforest means protecting the lungs of the world. Green awareness is a topic that's often mentioned in this part of the world. Hotel Torarica organized a Green Key fair and of course, I had to visit! Now I can finally share the Story with you guys! Creating these Story Time episodes takes a lot of work. So I'd appreciate it if you subscribe and join our tri

Shadows Of Love

 Shadows Of Love Sometimes you must shuffle the deck a few times to be dealt the right hand. And sometimes you meet that King Of Hearts in the first move that the game will demand. In the shadows of love, there are many secrets hidden. Something about you felt familiar, calm, and at the same time forbidden. I wonder what the universe was conspiring when our paths crossed. From a distance, I felt your eyes capture my soul. Maybe this is a story that should never be told! But they say that if you want to enter the paradise of lovers you have to pay the toll! A friend once asked me a question, he said: " What is it you are looking for now that we are getting old?". I told him I wanted someone who could spark my mind, soul, and maybe my inner sexual being. After he exposed the beauty hidden in my poetry, thoughts kept flirting with this hidden feeling. Sometimes we need the right people to ask us the right questions! But sometimes when the ones we hide in our hearts want to kno

Yogh Hospitality Hotel Jacuzzi Room Review

 Yogh Hospitality Jacuzzi Hotel Room Review Hello friends, I am finally back to continue the Yogh Hospitality Hotel series. In this Story Time episode, we are reviewing their Jacuzzi hotel room. Suriname's latest hotel edition has had me and many other people impressed. I finally got the time to write this review for you. I've been busy with some projects and capturing content for you. I'm always on the move, that's why it's no surprise that it takes a lot of work to bring these Story Time episodes to life. Subscribing to my blog will help support my creative journey. By becoming a member of the Story Time tribe, you will be the first to receive my stories in your inbox. Anyway back to Yogh Hospitality Hotel. Their Jacuzzi room was very impressive and modern. Especially compared to Surinamese standards. As a tech girl, I love everything innovative and modern. Too bad their spa isn't open yet. That's still a work in progress. Keep in mind that they only rec

Check-In At Royal Torarica In Paramaribo

 Check-in At Royal Torarica In Paramaribo Hello, my fellow adventurers! I'm back to share another Story Time adventure. In this episode, we'll be visiting Royal Torarica in Paramaribo.  This hotel is a part of the Torarica group. They have different deals going on at Royal Torarica for locals. This Surimanese luxury hotel is a 3-star establishment. We know they have an amazing swimming pool from our previous pool day adventure . It has become a habit of mine to add videos to my blog posts. The way technology evolves helps me elevate my creative skills. I made a vlog of our check-in at Hotel Royal Torarica in Paramaribo. But before we get to that, I'd appreciate you subscribing to my blog. By subscribing you support my content creation journey and will be the first to receive my episodes in your e-mail.📧You can be my pen-friend, so don't be shy to leave a comment behind!😎 I was so busy that I messed up the dates for our booking. But the hotel was nice enough to acco

Story time with Donovan Dongo, Dongo brothers selected for W.W.E

   Storytime with Donovan Dongo, Dongo Brothers selected  The Dongo brothers holding the Surinamese flag in front of the  W.W.E performance center in America. Today I have some good news for the people of Suriname. I know I am a bit late with this story, but what can I say. I have been having problems with my Internet provider for a while now.  If you live in Suriname, you probably can relate. But on with Storytime, today we are going to talk about the Dongo brothers.  These guys have proven that dreams do come true, with a lot of hard work and effort.  The World Wrestling Entertainment (W.W.E) has selected Donovan and Leandro Dongo to represent Suriname. They made it past their last tryouts and were selected out of 30.000 applicants. The Dongo brothers have proven what they are made of, but they have also put Suriname on the world map when it comes to wrestling entertainment.  Donovan Dongo shares his experiences with Storytime in a video he recorded. But since I have a

Blogger notes: Happy new year! Storytime in 2022

Happy new year, Storytime in 2022 Hi guys, I want to wish all of you a happy new year. I am learning to stay positive no matter the circumstances. Throughout the years I have become a professional at it. The weird thing is, the better I get at it the better my skills become. I have to say I am proud of myself for getting through last year. There were some painful lessons, as usual. I have come to learn that they are a part of the journey that helps me build my successes. The more I embraced positivity the less my anxiety became.  Anxiety can be a messed-up demon, but the warrior in me kind of grew tired of it and decided to stab it. That's the problem when you know how strong you are.  The only thing is, I just wasn't in a hurry to grow up. Especially if you grew up in the public eye like I did. But I have no regrets. Because each step that I made in life also led me to beautiful people and beautiful experiences. The more content I feel with my life, the more my inn

A Paramaribo Foodie Adventure At Tori Oso In Suriname

 Story Time: Paramaribo foodie adventure at Tori Oso Hello, my dearest Story Time friends from around the world. How have you guys been doing? As usual, I'm back with another foodie adventure! This time we're reviewing a popular local restaurant in Paramaribo that's called Tori Oso. By the way to my fellow Surinamese people happy Keti Koti! In Sranang Tongo, the language all locals speak means the chains are broken. Today on the 1st of July emancipation day is celebrated in the Republic of Suriname. But I'll tell you more about that in another Story Time episode. So make sure you subscribe to my blog when you see that Story Time U.F.O. pop-up on your screen! 🛸👽👾That way you'll be the first to get my Story Time adventures zapped right to your inbox! On this foodie adventure in Paramaribo, we visited Tori Oso on a hot afternoon. Tori Oso is located at Fred Derby Street #76. On their Facebook page , it said that they open at 4pm. But it's better if you show up